This was also from PRSSA National Assembly from the “Ethics Challenge” session.
The following steps for making ethical decisions were taken directly from a PRSA resource that can be found at: http://www.prsa.org/AboutPRSA/Ethics/documents/decisionguide.pdf
Steps for Making Ethical Decisions:
1. Define the specific ethical issue/conflict.
2. Identify internal/external factors (e.g., legal, political, social, economic) that may influence the decision
3. Identify key values
4. Identify the parties who will be affected by the decision and define the public relations professional’s obligation to each.
5. Select ethical principles to guide the decision-making process.
6. Make a decision and justify it.